Friday, September 5, 2014

Prayer Walking

Last week, it was my privilege to participate in a citywide prayer walk for our schools. It was organized by a godly woman who moved back to Anderson in answer to God’s call; she is currently unemployed, but came here to serve the Lord.

We met in the parking lot of the Wigwam to receive our assignments and a prayer card. One of those on the prayer walk was Terry Thompson, superintendent of the Anderson Community School Corporation; it was a blessing to meet him and to learn that our new superintendent is a Christ follower. I was assigned three of our local public schools; the others went to the other public schools, to the Anderson Preparatory Academy, and to Liberty Christian School. After praying together, we drove to our prayer walking assignments.

My experience was deeply moving, emotionally and spiritually. I went first to East Side Elementary School. Using the prayer card that they gave me, I prayed for the students, faculty, staff, custodians, cafeteria workers, bus drivers, and crossing guards who serve that school. My heart was strangely warmed; I felt the close presence of God as I prayed through the prayer card three times at that school.

Then I drove to Anderson Middle School and prayed the same way. But this time my emotional and spiritual experience was completely different. I was overwhelmed by an extreme feeling of unworthiness; I did not feel worthy to be praying for this school and its people. But I prayed through. Three times through that prayer card. By the way, if you’re curious about the prayer card, I included it at the end of this post (with my own minor edits, but it is 99% the same as when handed to me).

Finally I went to East 10th Street Elementary School and prayed through the prayer card a third time (I don’t know why, but I felt that I wanted to pray through it three times at each school; something about the way my mind works, I suppose!). And this time, my emotional and spiritual experience was different again. In place of the extreme closeness of God, instead of the feeling of unworthiness, I just felt a firm determination to pray for the children and their adult leaders at this school.

Overall, it was a wonderful experience. For a long time afterwards, I had no interest in anything else. My mind was fixed on God and his will for the schools of Anderson. I knew that I was a small part of a large movement that was covering all of the schools in our city with prayer. And I won’t be surprised when reports of answered prayer arrive.

If you want to use it, here is my slightly edited version of the prayer card:

Prayer Walking


I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone - for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. For there is one God and one mediator between God and us, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all. – I Timothy 2:1-8



Pray about truth. 

Declare the reality of one God. Ask that the eyes of minds would cease to be blinded 
by Satan.

Pray for people you see in the neighborhood. You don’t have to know their names.

Focus on God and His promises.

Pray for peace. For the godliness and holiness of His people to increase into abundant peace.

Jesus spoke to them, saying, "I am the light of the world." -John 8:12

Pray that God would bring the light of the world right into this neighborhood.

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it in abundance. –John 10:10

Where Satan has stolen, murdered or destroyed, invite Jesus to bring life. Describe the abounding life that Christ desires for the people of our city.

But the Lord is faithful and He will strengthen and protect you from the evil one.
-2 Thess. 3:3

Come before God’s  throne of mercy to seek His powerful intervention.  Ask that evil powers would be frustrated and that many in the city would taste the freedom and joy of life made right with God.

Blessed be the LORD, who daily bears our burden, the God who is our salvation. God is to us a God of deliverances; and to God the LORD belong escapes from death.  –Psalm 68:19-20

Pray for children whose parents don't care; for women abandoned by faithless men; for lonely people who have no one; for those overpowered by the cruelty or greed of others.

What we call The Lord's Prayer can be our prayer to pray for ourselves and our neighbor­ hoods.

Our Father, who art in heaven ...

We come near You in heaven by the way made by Jesus. We come near our neighbors on earth, that a way would be opened for you in their lives.
Hallowed be Your Name ...

We want You honored in this place, recognized by every single person. Work in our lives so that Your will alone will be honored, respected and praised.

Your kingdom come. Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven ...

Come loving King! Confront us with healing power. Subdue our rebellion against You. Transform these hearts to follow You soon.  Turn us as individuals, as families, even as a whole community of loyal obedience.

Give us this day our daily bread ...

We ask You to provide every daily need for the people in this place.

And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors ...

However deep or longstanding the sins of our city, we beg forgiveness.

And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil ...

Our city is trapped in transgressions.  Only Your forgiveness can free us. However deep or longstanding the sins of our city may be, we beg You Lord, bring forth a wave of reconciliation on the very street we walk. May forgiveness spread from person to person, throughout the families and between the subcultures, and heal our city.

For Yours is the kingdom, and the power and the glory, forever. Amen.
-Matthew 6:9-13

May Your kingdom come in its fullness in this neighborhood. May these women, men, girls and boys experience Your power and Your glory. For Your sake!


No comments:

Post a Comment